♦ January 2019 – December 2022: Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet, VR) funded researcher in the Section for Natural Resources and Sustainable Development at the Institute for Earth Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden. Project title: “Earth’s past environmental crises: the role of Large Igneous Provinces and sedimentary basins” (Principal Investigator: Deegan). Total awarded: 3.2 MSEK (ca. €304,000).
♦ November 2016 – November 2018: Associate researcher at the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV) Rome, Italy.
♦ January 2016 – January 2019: STINT visiting researcher at the University of Cape Town. Project title: “Oxygen isotopes in lavas and crystals as tracers of magmatic processes” (Principal Investigators: Deegan and Harris).
♦ January 2014 – December 2018: Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet, VR) Young Researcher Fellow in the Section for Mineralogy, Petrology and Tectonics at the Institute for Earth Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden. Project title: “Boron isotope behaviour in crustal magma chambers: Insights into the recycling scale of a volatile tracer element” (Principal Investigator: Deegan). Highly competitive research funding, total awarded: 3.5 MSEK (ca. €398,000).
♦ January 2014 – June 2015: Substitute Lecturer in Mineralogy and Metamorphic Petrology, Department of Geological Sciences, Stockholm University, Sweden (60% position).
♦ December 2011 ‒ December 2013: Vetenskapsrådet (VR) post-doctoral researcher at the Department of Geosciences at the Swedish Museum of Natural History (NRM), Stockholm, Sweden. Advisor: Prof. Martin J. Whitehouse. Project title: “Rates and mechanisms of crustal assimilation: a coupled experimental and micro-analytical approach”.
♦ January 2011 ‒ November 2011: Researcher (forskare) in the Section for Mineralogy, Petrology and Tectonics at the Institute for Earth Sciences, Uppsala University, 100% research position.
♦ October 2006 – April 2011: Doctoral research degree. Defence date and place: 3rd December, 2010, Uppsala University. Degree awarded: April 11th 2011. Subject area: Mineralogy and Petrology. Thesis title: “Processes of magma-crust interaction: insights from geochemistry and experimental petrology”. Supervisor: Prof. Valentin R. Troll.
♦ October 2002 ‒ May 2006: B.A. Natural Science (Geology), Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
Specialist analytical training and international mobility
- High P-T experimental petrology using the quick-press apparatus, INGV Rome, Italy, 2014.
- Boron isotope analysis in silicates and carbonates by Positive Thermal Ionisation Mass Spectrometry (PTIMS) at Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR), Pisa, Italy, 2013.
- Sample preparation for Secondary Ionisation Mass Spectrometry (SIMS) and SIMS programming for analysis, NRM Stockholm, Sweden, 2012 to 2014.
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Cathodoluminescence (CL) imaging, NRM Stockholm, Sweden, 2012.
- CO2 extraction from gas samples and analysis of C isotopes, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego, USA, 2012.
- Oxygen and carbon extraction from silicates and carbonates for stable isotope analysis, UCT, South Africa, 2009.
- TIMS operation (Finnigan MAT 262), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VUA), Netherlands, 2009.
- Clean laboratory techniques and Sr, Nd, Pb separation from silicates, VUA, Netherlands, 2009.
- In-situ micro-sampling using a micro-mill apparatus, University of Durham, UK, 2008.
- Electron microprobe analysis, INGV Rome, Italy, 2007.
- High P-T experimental petrology using the piston cylinder apparatus, INGV Rome, Italy, 2007.
- X-Ray diffraction on silicate rock powder, TCD, Ireland, 2006.
Selected invited talks
♦ Invited outreach talk, May 2019, Uppsala University, Sweden. Title: “What do Earth Scientists do? Getting fired up for volcanoes!”.
♦ Invited keynote talk, April 2018, European Geosciences Union 2018, Vienna, Austria. Title: “Impact of basaltic sills on sedimentary host rocks in the High Arctic Large Igneous Province”. Read the abstract by clicking this link: Deegan-EGU2018-17845.
♦ Invited talk, January 2018, Nordic Geological Winter Meeting 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark. Title: “Birthing an oceanic rift: mantle fingers or lateral flow?”.
♦ Invited talk, August 2016, University of Cape Town, South Africa. Title: “Augite and enstatite pyroxene standards for SIMS oxygen isotope analysis and their application to Merapi volcano, Sunda arc, Indonesia”. See flyer below.
♦ Invited talk, January 2016, Nordic Geological Winter Meeting 2016, Helsinki, Finland. Title: “Augite and enstatite standards for SIMS oxygen isotope analysis and their application to Merapi volcano, Sunda arc, Indonesia”.
♦ Invited lecture, 2013, Department of Geological Sciences, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden. Title: “Metapelites”.
♦ Invited talk, summer 2009, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Title: “Radiogenic isotopes in lavas from Java, Indonesia”.
Workshop organisation and session convening
♦ Lead session convener at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Chapman Conference on Large-scale volcanism in the Arctic in Selfoss, Iceland, October 13-18 2019, for “Theme V: HALIP and environmental effects”.
♦ Lead session convener at the European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly 2019 in Vienna, Austria, April 7-12, 2019. “Magma generation and differentiation: field, geochemical, experimental and numerical investigation of magmatic and volcanic systems”.
♦ Lead session convener at the Nordic Winter Meeting 2018 in Copenhagen, Denmark, January 10-12, 2018. “Micro-beam frontiers in magmatic, metamorphic, and hydrothermal systems”.
♦ Organiser of “Ocean Island Workshop 2017” in the University of Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Spain, April 24 – 27, 2017. Read more here. Group photo below!